- Hope the off-leash dog doesn't hurt Badger or vice versa
- Wonder if I should be clicking and treating, or whether that would cause the off-leash dog to become aggressive
- Breathe a sigh of relief when the owner finally notices and calls his dog away
- Upon arriving home, report the situation to L, who calls the apartment complex (the off-leash dog and its owner live in our complex)
- Beat myself up for not reacting quickly enough / resolve to do better next time
- Feel proud of Badger for handling the situation much better than I did
- Play bow
- Aw darn, it left before we could play
- Accept treats as a consolation
- Wonder why human is apologizing to me
- Accept belly rubs
|Is that a belly rub over there?|
What I should have done:
Hopefully the apartment manager will give this guy a talking-to for breaking the leash law, and we won't meet off-leash dogs anymore. (Wishful thinking!) I also realize how lucky I am to have been walking Badger instead of Mushroom. Next time, if I'm not frozen in shock, I'm going to try throwing treats at the dog and retreating.
Has your dog ever surprised you by handling a situation much better than you did?