This week I'm continuing with last week's theme about some of the things we've done to keep our dogs cool. Check out the previous posts about ice cubes and crates if you missed them. If you have any additional ideas, please share in the comments!
We recently bought two Kong Extremes from DoggyLoot, which brings the total number of Kongs in our household to 4 (not counting the Kong Genius). While Badger and Mushroom can clear a Kong of dry kibble in a couple of minutes, a frozen Kong is a different beast.
Here's how we make our frozen Kongs:
- Stuff a little bit of cream cheese in the hole in the bottom. This prevents any liquid from leaking out.
- Turn the Kong large-end-up and place it in a plastic cup. This helps keep the Kong upright while it's in the freezer.
- Put a scoop of peanut butter in the bottom of the Kong. Badger and Mushroom love peanut butter, and I want them to play with their Kongs for as long as possible.
- Fill the Kong to about 3/4"-1" from the opening with dry kibble. If I want to make it particularly tricky, I soak the kibble in water first for a few minutes.
- Top off the Kong with a scoop of canned pumpkin.
- Stick it in the freezer and wait!
A frozen Kong with dry kibble can keep Badger and Mushroom busy for 10 minutes. If we use pre-soaked kibble, they'll be busy for up to an hour. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make frozen Kongs for them every night.
|The other dog's Kong is always tastier, even if Mushroom can barely get her mouth around the XL Kong|
Do you have any Kong recipes?