Friday, March 23, 2012

When Worlds Collide

In my last blog post, I wrote about how I don't play as many video games these days (though I would like to). Some of my other interests are basketball, social justice, and of course, dogs. This blog exists at the intersection of the three.

I spent a while thinking how I should say this without upsetting anyone, and I figured I'd just come clean: We're Knicks fans. We also support our local Celtics, my hometown Rockets, and Llamaentity's hometown Suns. But the Knicks hold a special place in our hearts because they're underdogs who stand a chance of overcoming the odds and making it into the playoffs (sorry, Bobcats).

Speaking of dogs, Knicks player Amar'e Stoudemire tweeted a picture of this little guy a few days ago:

Photo credit: Amar'e Stoudemire

This is his 6-year-old, 67-lb bulldog Spudd, who is recovering from pneumonia. Get well soon, Spudd!

Although we originally started following the Knicks because of the meteoric rise of the previously unknown Jeremy Lin, Stoudemire might be my new favorite player. Not only is he a dog owner, he also wore a hoodie prior to tonight's game to bring attention to the death of Trayvon Martin. I actually wrote a blog post about Trayvon, but I ultimately decided against posting it because it was way too depressing, and there are already a lot of informative, respectful pieces out there.

One of the blogs I read to keep up with social justice news is Angry Asian Man. So imagine my surprise when I went to the site and saw a little upside-down pittie face!

Photo credit: Angry Asian Man or maybe Anna John

Apparently this Havi / Maisie lookalike is the canine companion of Anna John, one of the co-founders of the Sepia Mutiny blog, which recently announced its retirement. It's always a pleasant surprise when I find pictures of dogs in unexpected places!

What are some of your non-dog interests?

1 comment:

  1. They get fewer and fewer... I used to do color guard and throw flags in a marching band. And the tiger thing, but that was short lived. Yeah... My life revolves around my dogs...

    ReplyDelete